As You Wish...
I worked on a very popular talk show back in the 90s. I was lucky enough to work with Cary Elwes when he was a guest. I barely managed to keep my farm boy fan girl antics under wraps, but I was ever the professional.
Now, anyone who goes on a show like that, whether they do a
whole interview, or speak a few words, gets paid. It's a union thing. And it's
not much. Like $700 (which for me would have been huge, but for a movie star...
no biggie.) Anyway, I probably completed 200 tax forms for guests, and everyone
just signed and got paid. I never gave it much thought.
Until...
Our Dearest Westley had come and gone. I'd remained
professional, as mentioned, even though, ohhh my heart!! Two days later, he
called.
"Kristin? It's Cary." Um, Yeah. Hello old friend!!
Swoooooooon.
"Remember that SAG fee? Would it be possible to get
that donated directly to a local AIDS charity?"
And for maybe the first and last time in my life, I said the
perfect thing at the perfect time.
"As you wish."
There was a second of silence, where I thought oh noooo! I
made him angry! (His pride in the part and movie is very well known now, but
let's just say other cast members had made is pretty clear they didn’t want
their famous lines used on them.
So silence and then... uproarious laughter! (Whew!)
We wrapped up. I got his payment donated. And that gave me
an excuse to call him back (swoon again).
Comments
Post a Comment